I was searching the Meatless Monday website for some new dinner ideas and came across this Sesame Tempeh with Green Beans recipe. The end result didn’t turn out exactly as pictured on their website but it didn’t seem to make a difference. This is a really flavorful dish that got the stamp of approval from my husband and kids.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
1 tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Onion, chopped
1 tsp Ginger, minced
4-5 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 package Tempeh (8 oz), cut into ¼ inch slices
2 tsp tamari
1 pint Cherry Tomatoes
1 pint Green Beans, trimmed
pinch Salt & Pepper, to taste
1 tbsp Sesame Seeds, toasted
- Melt oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add ginger and garlic to skillet and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add tempeh slices and season with tamari. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side, or until crispy.
- Add the tomatoes and green beans. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until green beans are brightly colored. Do not over cook green beans.
- Remove skillet from heat. Season with salt & pepper then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Serve & enjoy!
I substituted coconut oil for canola oil in my recipe for added flavor. Also, my tempeh fell apart when I mixed in the green beans and tomatoes. I’m not sure if it was the type of tempeh I used but I plan on sauteing the vegetables & tempeh separately next time.